Friday, April 26, 2013

primer question wet primers can they be saved ?

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

i bought a bunch of recycled brass 300 lbs , with a lot of primed brass in a caliber i use.. ? @ 200-400 it rained on the brass and the primers got wet , before i purchased it. can they be saved by drying out ? any ideas? i fired 1 out of 3 and 1 fired 2 were still wet , did this to see if they were water tight / or should i pull and destroy the primers . anyone experienced at this ??
I have not done extensive testing,
But I tumbled a bunch of .308 brass in SS media, and then Deprimed it

Many of them got tossed, a few I found here and there, when I find them I smash them with a hammer

They always go off.

Not sure if this helps you or not.

Here is my rule:

If I did not put the primer in, I dont know what it is, or how long its been there.

Out they come, every last one

I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
Here is my rule:

If I did not put the primer in, I dont know what it is, or how long its been there.

Out they come, every last one

+1, I'm with Fred.
I'm with fred, If I don't prime it I don't shoot it.
Yep, not worth the trouble, junk em.
Megiddo is offline Boolit Mold Join DateFeb 2013Posts2
Here is my rule:

If I did not put the primer in, I dont know what it is, or how long its been there.

Out they come, every last one

How would you remove the primers? I wouldn't junk the brass... too hard to come by now-a-days.
Cesure is offline Boolit Mold Join DateMar 2013LocationMichigan, Still Part of the USA (for now)Posts7
I would dry them, load some with light loads and use them strictly for target practice. I would keep track of what % didn't fire and I would be very careful about hangfires. If a significant percentage didn't fire, I would soak them all in water and deprime. If I only got a small % of duds, I would pull the bullets from them and try to fire the primer again before attempting to deprime the brass. I can understand the desire of some to stick to the rules, but I think the risk is minimal. They aren't likely to be too hot. They aren't likely to spontaneously fire. They are more likely to be too weak or not fire at all.
Deprime with regular sizer/deprime die, just be gentle in operating the press. Not very likely they will ignite but do be safe.
God Bless America
US Army, NRA Endowment, TSRA Life
SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator
I have read that the priming compound is water soluble and if soaked and allowed to dry, they won't be damaged and work as usual. I'd check a few to see that all the compound is in place and dry and load 'em up, as long as they are non-corrosive...
Primers are a lot turfier than most would believe. Place the primed brass in a dry warm low humidity area with a little air circulation ( a food dehydrator works great) and they should be fine. I would not use them for critical duty but at the price of primers these days I would not discard them either.

I am currently using primers which I purchased back in the seventies which were not stored under ideal conditions and I have yet to have any problems at all.

NRA Endowment Member
Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68
When primers are made on the squeegee plate the primer compound is purposely "wet" It makes the compound workable or safe to work with. So wet should not be a problem because that is how they are born.
If they call it "common sense" then why is it so uncommon!
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment