Sunday, April 28, 2013

Newbie Alox question...

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

I casted/sized/lubed a bunch of 10mm bullets and decided to let them dry outside, overnight. It happened to rain on them. Should I lube them again, or should they be good to go?
shredder is offline Boolit Master Join DateJan 2012Posts194
Bring them in and let them dry off. How do they look? I do not think alox will dissolve in water so they should be a ok. If you are worried, do another little tumble and you will be good to go. I would not leave them outside in case of any contamination sticking to the alox. The last thig you need is debis stuck to the lube being fired down your bore.
Never have heard of water-soluble Alox. Unless you found some and used it, you're all right.
"You are not a hoarder until you have exceeded a lifetime supply"
I brought them in...they're in my spare bedroom on the floor with wax paper...I don't think my wife is a fan of it, though!
myg30 is offline Boolit Master Join DateJan 2009LocationNashville, TN.Posts156
She "let you" bring them in ? Wow good women. The smell should of got you kicked out of the house ! Your ok as posted above. I personally hate the smell of it and wont even try to bring them inside till very dry.
I made the mistake of giving my wife a revolver years ago,..... I never thought ahead about bringing in alox boolits and cleaning guns inside the house !

Mike

I don't care for the Alox odor much, either. That stuff stays in the garage. I like its work as boolit lube, but as a room deodorizer......not so much.

Specific to Lee Liquid Alox......I used it for paper-patch lube in the past, and it seems to have a water-proofing effect for the patches to some degree. I don't think water exposure causes harm, but rain and runoff can have grit and dust within it. No good for bores if the grit has any size to it.

History is always ambiguous, if honestly presented--Stephen E. Ambrose
ukrifleman is offline Boolit Man Join DateNov 2011Posts95
Something I learnt some time ago, if you want to keep the woman in your life out of your `Man Cave` make sure that you have 3 things in there. Lee Liquid Alox, Hoppes No.9 and Ballistol.
Works every time!

ukrifleman.

Apparently, they're OK. I took them into the "man cave" to do some loading, and all of the Alox is still there...
Retired Law Enforcement
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Basic Instructor
SC Law Enforcement Division CWP Instructor
alox is used as spray on rust proofing under car fenders and such.
it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

Something I learnt some time ago, if you want to keep the woman in your life out of your `Man Cave` make sure that you have 3 things in there. Lee Liquid Alox, Hoppes No.9 and Ballistol.
Works every time!

ukrifleman.

Wisdom in its natural, free-range state is a sublime thing to behold.
History is always ambiguous, if honestly presented--Stephen E. Ambrose
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment