Sunday, March 17, 2013

Beagling tape needed.

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

As the title says, I need some beagling tape. I have a nice 3 hole Lachmiller mould 454190. It casts .454 at the seam of the mould, but only .450 - .451 the narrow way. This will be the first mould that I have ever beageled. It looks to me that if a mould has to be beagled, this would be the perfect application.
Is there different thicknesses? Where can I buy the stuff?
All information appreciated.
Jack
littlejack
P.M. your addy to me and I'll send you a strip.
Pepe Ray
You should be able to find it at one of the big box hardware stores. Look in the tape section. It is a roll of metal tape with adhesive on one side that you have to pull paper off of before applying.
AHHH. . .the cornucopia of refined grey matter I find on this forum continues to astound me!

As Beagle describes in his article, I too have a Lyman 358429 that casts small - a .358 base, a .354 front band and a weight of 165 grains after lube (it's supposed to be 170 and Elmer's original was 173). After my recent (awesome) experience with Ballisti-Cast in resurrecting the #20 mold, I was thinking of just ordering their original Keith spec on general principle (I may still), but I have another option now. I thank you.

"Beagling". . .HA!

WWJMBD?

I like my science WEIRD.

Thank you all for your replies. I found some.
My wifes son (blended family) is in the HVAC trade. He left both kinds here at the house when he installed the heat pump. There is the thicker kind with the gooey backing, and then there is the AL Foil that I can use. It measures .004. It will probably squeeze down to .003 or so when the glue melts. This will be perfect.
Thank you Pepa Ray for your generous offer.
Bigslug, send me your addy, and I can sent you a strip.
Reguards
Jack
Hey fellas:
After reporting that I found some tape, I went out to my "man shed" and beagled my moulds. The pot was already heating up as I did this.
I cast up close to a hundred, and they were just as I needed. The narrow way measured .454. I ran a few through the .452 sizer, and the boolits came out perfect. They sized all the way around at .452. The moulds actually seemed to cast better with the tape, than they did before the tape. I believe it is because the moulds could "breathe" better with the tape in between.
Thanks again for the input fellas.
Reguards
Jack
Congratulations on your victory!

Out of curiosity, how much weight did the slugs pick up from your previous oval efforts?

WWJMBD?

I like my science WEIRD.

Bigslug:
I weighed five of the boolits this morning. Yes, I wiped the hairs of from the vent grooves. The average of the five was about 253 grains. They ranged from 252.5 up to one at 255 grains. I think that is quite a difference for this size/weight boolit. Maybe the cavities are just a little different. I believe that the first "out of round" boolits averaged 252 grains. BUT, now they are ALL going to be nice and round, and to the correct .452 diameter. Life is good.
Jack
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment