Thursday, March 14, 2013

Comparing powders need advice..

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Hello all,

I am new here and have been surfing the site and trying to get a grasp of casting. My goal is to work up a load for a lee mold 155 gr .312. I will be gas checking and sizing down to .309 with 45/45/10 tumble lube. The round will be for punching paper and if I make it out hunting deer. Rifles are savage model 16 and ptr91 (roller lock action). My question is I was comparing burn rates and found that RL7 is rated @ 93 on the chart, 4895 is @ 110, and the powder I have a huge amount of H322 is @ 100 on the chart provided by The Reload Bench. The Hodgon site list RL7 @ 70 , H322 @ 74 and 4895 @ 89. Making all 3 mid to fast range burning powders, considering H322 is smack in the middle is it safe to use and what would be a good starting load. Rl7 and 4895 from what I have read perform amazing with cast boolits in 308 win. Also would it be ok to use a jacketed bullets starting load as long as I dont seat deeper then recommend for the jacketed bullet and dont use data past 2000-2200 fps. I really would appreciate some help I have been searching and reading and I know most would say just go get the powder that you have data for but my budget doesnt allow me to do so, and living in NY components are very hard to come by. I hope no one thinks I want to be held by the hand just want to do it right and safe.

Thanks again Mike

Last edited by RAMERY; 03-08-2013 at 07:51 AM.
?Don?t carry a gun. It?s nice to have them close by, but don?t carry them. You might get arrested.? (NY )
Come on guys I have been trying to get an answer for days now and get no real response is my question that silly. I dont know whats going on but I was told this was the place to hang out with good people with knowledge on casting. If i am going about this wrong let me know please. This would be about my 2nd thread asking the same question and nothing. Thanks again Mike
?Don?t carry a gun. It?s nice to have them close by, but don?t carry them. You might get arrested.? (NY )
Not real sure but I would take a starting load for jacketed bullets of the same wieght and reduce by 10 % and work up.
Just look for pressure signs. Measuring the base of the case is good. You might shoot some factory rounds and see how much they expand in your gun.
Powder burn rates will have a direct relationship to case volume.
A burn rate suited to a 300 BO will most likely not be well suited to a 30/06 and visa versa.
You never mentioned what cartridge you are loading so maybe you didnt get an answer because you didnt finish the question, what cartridge?
It would be for 308 Win. bullshop
?Don?t carry a gun. It?s nice to have them close by, but don?t carry them. You might get arrested.? (NY )
Looking at the Hodgdon site, a 150 gr bullet has a starting load of 37gr @2500fps. To drop down to 2000-2200fps, I would think somewhere around 32-33gr would be getting close to that speed.

Take a look at the Hodgdon site to get an idea of what you want.

Looking at the Hodgdon site, a 150 gr bullet has a starting load of 37gr @2500fps. To drop down to 2000-2200fps, I would think somewhere around 32-33gr would be getting close to that speed.

Take a look at the Hodgdon site to get an idea of what you want.

Thank you for the response will give this a try, How fast can I push a cast bullet before it becomes unsafe using a gas check? Well let me rephrase that what is the suggest max before paper patching is needed as far as fps.
Last edited by RAMERY; 03-08-2013 at 04:26 PM.
?Don?t carry a gun. It?s nice to have them close by, but don?t carry them. You might get arrested.? (NY )
There is really no way to say what level your cast will be able to be pushed to. To many variables. You will have to work them out for your gun- bullets- powder.
WineMan is offline Boolit Master Join DateMar 2007Posts256
My limited experience would be to try a slightly fatter bullet maybe 0.310-311" and try to stay under 2,000 fps for the first loads. Most mid range powders start loads in the mid 20 grain range for that velocity.

Dave

In the RCBS Cast bullet manual they list 26 gn.H 332 @ 1566 fps & 28 gn. @ 1723 with their 180 SP. In a 308. So start with 26.0 and work your way up.
A +1 on going up in sizing to .310 or .311
IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"
I actually have a .311 sizer so thats a go and thank you gentlemen so much. I am a happy man now I know where to start.
?Don?t carry a gun. It?s nice to have them close by, but don?t carry them. You might get arrested.? (NY )
WineMan is offline Boolit Master Join DateMar 2007Posts256
See here:

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/view_topic.php?id=2573&forum_id=52&highlight=h322

Scroll down for the Ed Harris post on the 30-06, cut the 308 down a touch or not as the case may be.

Dave

I cant seem to access it I found his name clicked on it but it askes me to log in.
?Don?t carry a gun. It?s nice to have them close by, but don?t carry them. You might get arrested.? (NY )
I just finished casting my first boolits awesome... Had a few wrinkled but once I got pot to right temp smooth sailing. cant wait to load some up and go to the range. Thanks again to everyone here for there help.. Will be sizing to .311 and starting @ 26 gr H322 Will let you gentlemen know how it goes.

Mike

?Don?t carry a gun. It?s nice to have them close by, but don?t carry them. You might get arrested.? (NY )
Question what seating depth would you guys recommend I loaded 10 rds saw in my lyman 49th that with a 160gr they suggested 2.635". I sat at 2.625" at this depth the gas check is at the end of the neck and begining of shoulder, no lube grooves exposed and lite crimp. Bolt closes snug as well, my boolits drop at 158.5-159 grs is this ok?

So it looks like this:
Coal-2.625"
H322-26 gr & 26.5 gr (working up load)
Lee 312-155 bullet mould
Boolits drop at-158.5-159
sized and gas checked-.311
45/45/10 lube
Remington large rifle primer
Federal once fired trim-2.003"
lee neck expander
lite crimp
alloy- ww (clip on)
water quenched

Last edited by RAMERY; 03-09-2013 at 06:42 PM.
?Don?t carry a gun. It?s nice to have them close by, but don?t carry them. You might get arrested.? (NY )
When working up a load with boolits I always start with the leading edge of the lead drive band showing some engraving on a chamberd round.
How many reloading manuals do you have? Pardon my assumptions but your question suggests that you are trying to find a powder/load from powder burn rate tables. NEVER do this. Always have specific, tested load information available. If you don't have them I would strongly suggest the Lyman Cast Bullet manual and the Lyman reloading manual. A bullet company manual such as Sierra is also very helpful.

Remember that a jacketed bullet has more resistance in the bore than any lead boolit. This means you can use jacketed data, starting at the lowest level of loads, with lead boolits.

Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment