Wednesday, April 17, 2013

First attempt and success

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Sailplane is offline Boolit Mold Join DateApr 2010Posts5

Try screwing your die up a little higher to get the leverage you need. Most of your power is in the bottom of your stroke, right before caming over.

Other than that, not bad! Better than I could do.

Last edited by Lizard333; Yesterday at 11:26 AM.
"The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789]) Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
Benjamin Franklin
backing it up might tear the rims off.
but definatly find the sweet spot, it goes from super hard to not so bad once you find it.
it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

Sailplane is offline Boolit Mold Join DateApr 2010Posts5
The die body is too long which makes the punch long also. This configuration makes finding the sweet spot not possible. I am going to have to shorten the die body so a shorter punch will push far enough to allow the die to be positioned to the top of the stroke to maximize stroke. I was happy just to be able to get an end result that was somewhere in the ballpark.
Smokin7mm is offline Boolit Master Join DateNov 2009LocationWashingtonPosts153
You say you used a taper reamer. How long of a lead do you have? You dont need much, maybe 1/8" roll over. I actually made a crude one from a drill bushing that I just radiused the opening just as a test. This will allow you to use a shorter punch as all the work is done in the bottom 1/4" or so of the die. The top part of the hole can be opened up to eliminate excess forced needed to keep pushing them through. I now use ones from RCE. I set mine up so when the press if fully extended the case is completely past the radius and then just feed the next one in, one right after another.
Bret
the way the jaxkets look i'd be pretty hard pressed to really change a whole lot.
you are getting them through without the little line above the base from the rim.
it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

Sailplane is offline Boolit Mold Join DateApr 2010Posts5
There is a 60 degree bevel just inside the opening and then the taper starts from there. I was trying to unfold the rim as gently as possible. I think based on the initial bang that gentle needs a little more work.
I decided to go the drill bushing route using taper pin reamers too. I figured I could use one die body and just change bushings. I want to reduce copper tubing jackets but the principle is the same as a derim die. My new mill arrives tomorrow & it will take a while to set up. I should be able to ream dies OK holding the work in 5C collets. Should also be able to turn punches with the work chucked in an R8 collet and the cutter in the milling vise or in a square 5C collet. It should work better than a drill press and a file. I' be busy for a while.

Bob

Looks good to me. Keep up the good work.
Paul G.
Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
-- R. Buckminster Fuller

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment