Friday, April 5, 2013

Mold diameter suggestions

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

I'm going to be ordering a couple molds from accurate within the next week or so. Tom has been very great in helping me decide on the majority of my wants(alloy setup, mold material, number of cavities, etc). One thing that I can't decide on is a diameter for a 9mm mold. I'd like to be able to size to .356 and .357 for my 9mm's. However, I'd also like to use it for Specials too. Would it be wise to get it made in .358 and size down as far as .356 for the bores that call for that size? or should I just stick with what I already have for Special and 357 mag....and use this new mold strictly for 9mm?

Thanks,
Rob

"Mama always says stupid is as stupid does"
You want it to cast at least .359 so you can size down to .358 or less. No need to go smaller
for the great majority of 9mms, they almost always do very well with .358 or at minimum .357.
Many are very unhappy with .356.

Bill

If it was easy, anybody could do it.
I have used Lee sizers .356-.358 to size SWC cast in .38 Special molds for years. The SWC mold drops at around .360 to .362 and while I can feel the increased pressure required itis no big deal. In many cases it is best to purchase .38 Cal. molds versus 9MM ones as it lets them perform double duty.
NRA Endowment Member
Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68
Bill,

Thanks for all of your help on my posts. I'm going to be ordering a 45acp and the 9mm mold. Tom @ Accurate suggested that I order with pure lead as my alloy. That would insure never having undersized bullets if I decide to go a little on the softer side. You suggested dropping the 9mm at .359. Would you suggest ordering the mold in .359? Also, respectively, If I want my 45 to be finished at .452, should I order the mold in a .453?

Thanks again,
Rob

"Mama always says stupid is as stupid does"
talk to tom about getting the mold cut for 358 with the + designation which is up to .0015 larger.
just add everything bill wrote below this point.
it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

I'm going through the same thought process myself.

At the moment, I tend to think you'll be better off committing to a 9mm-only mold. By the time you sort out all the issues of taper vs. roll crimp, C.O.A.L., reliable feeding, and ideal weights for the cartridges, it seems like you'll be living in a constant state of compromise.

Although. . .

The 35-125B cut to drop at .359 with enough of a shoulder to crimp over for a wheelgun might be a reasonable solution, I can't see me ever shooting anything that light out of a .357 case.

WWJMBD?

I like my science WEIRD.

hermans is offline Boolit Buddy Join DateFeb 2011LocationBredasdorp South AfricaPosts63
My 230B mold from Tom drops boolits around .456-.457, and I size them down to .453, no problem.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment