Saturday, April 13, 2013

Reloading 45 ACP on a Dillon RL550B using "Clays"

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

I was reloading some 45 ACP on my RCBS single stage press, currently waiting on some accessories from Dillon in order to get
my RL550B up and running. During my reloading session it seemed at times "difficult" for the RBCS Uniflow powder dispenser to throw a consistent charge of 3.8 grains of "Clays". I love using "Clays" in my 45 ACP reloads but was wondering if I'm going to have to find a different powder. Anyone out there using Clays in their RL550B press having this issue I hope not because my Sig P220 will eat that powder up.
Winners go home, survivors go to the hospital and losers go to the morgue.

NRA Life Member

I reload 38 Specials on a 550 using Clays all the time. It meters just fine using the small powder bar. It shouldn't be a problem with the bigger 45 powder funnel.
davegalesr is offline Boolit Mold Join DateMar 2013Posts1
I had the same problem with my RCBS - it does not seem to like the flake powder. I bought a Lee Perfect Powder for cheap money and use it just for the Clays - it works flawlessly.
45 acp is offline Boolit Mold Join DateApr 2012Posts11
I use clays and bullseye in an old dillon 450 for 45acp with no trouble.
I have used Clays and Universal Clays in a Dillon for years--have both the older powder measures and the newer twin arm one.
"A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does,he needs it very badly!" Sir Winston Churchill
Walt is offline Boolit Master Join DateFeb 2010LocationOhioPosts278
Dillon measures do well with Clays for me. You should have no problem.
"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you." Joe Heller
Stork is offline Boolit Bub Join DateAug 2008Posts42
Dillon measures do well with Clays for me. You should have no problem.Ditto,
I've run 30K or so of H&G 130's with 3.5-3.8 of clays with my 550.
Al
While I don't use the 550 for 45, all of the dillon measures except the SD interchange and they all use the same powder bars. Loaded for 45 using Clays for years.

From the first batch to the ones I shot last weekend, have all been fine.

You might pull the powder bar and make sure it has no trash in it. It happens. Some guys polish so the powder will flow better. I have problems with Unique and found the suggestion on this site to tape an fish tank bubbler to the powder funnel. Works great. the vibration keeps the powder moving.
Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!
I've put a lot of clays and universal clays through my Dillon powder measure with narry a problem
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment