Monday, April 8, 2013

303 Enfield woes........

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Finally got some boxer primed once fired .303 brass, and components to start loading for this #4 Mk1/2 Fazakerley (?).

Slugged the barrel, cleaned the barrel well, nice shiny bore, lands and grooves nice and sharp.

Then I noticed; NO EXTRACTOR on my bolt............&#*&%@x! ! !

If anyone happens to have either a complete bolt or complete bolt head to fit, please contact me.

I have the appropriate 311299 mold enroute; any tips, pointers?

HV

U.S. Coast Guard (ret)
Law Enforcement (ret)
"Now, just tired!"
Slug the bore mine was larger than most of my 30 caliber moulds dropped so I had to get some larger ones in.
Hey.fellow Enfield owner,don,t know about you but if t,were me I,d get to fireforming that brass.You don,t need an extractor if you use the "0"
ring method,they,ll just pop back out when you open the bolt.Sorry I can,t help with parts but that way you,ll be on the right track and don,t
have to shelve the gun until you get one.(Extractor) Single shot is easiest,I never did try feeding thru the mag but it works.Good luck,.Mike
What Artful said!

I have 4 Lee Enfields and all have large groove diameters of 0.314" and throats of about 0.315". I size to suit throats and get good results using the NOE 316299.

I have had pretty good results using 18 to 22 grs. of IMR4227 (depending on boolit weight) which I burn quite a bit of in the .308, .303's and .44 mag. I have also had pretty good results using Unique, 4198 and 4895 as well.

I found that my RCBS dies were optimistic as to boolit size and size to suit SAAMI spec guns. This resulted in a lot of working the brass in the neck and shoulder area because the necks were being sized down to suit 0.311 boolits so were a tight fit for my 0.315" boolits. The tight necks actually swaged down the lead as boolits were seated so hurting accuracy.

I bought a Lee collet sizer and made a mandrel to suit my fat boolits and that has worked out very well. Apparently you do not actually need the mandrel though so that would be easier. Just set the collet to give the final inside diameter you want.

Lee Enfields have very sloppy chambers so full length sizing brass really works it a lot. Neck sizing only helps but if oversize boolits are used then get your self a Lee collet sizer or similar. Regular annealing is good too.

Longbow

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Enfield-No-4-Mark-1-Stock-Bolt-Trigger-Guard-Misc-Parts-/290881320464?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b9e0b610

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/enfield.html

Do a google search for the part in question if you haven't already. If you decide to swap out your existing bolt or bolt-head make sure that the replacement bolt head measures the same as the one you have now. Don't rely on the number stamped on the bolt head.

You can get a new bolt head with the identical number stamped on it and it will more than likely not be the same length as the one your rifle came with. This potentially could change your head-spacing which in turn could cause even more problems. Not the least of which could be a blown up gun.

I did a search on the ebay sight and came up with the above link.

HollowPoint

Thanks for all the info; I'll take note. I am interested in the "O" ring idea. Can anyone provide me with a link on "how-to"?

One of the first items I bought was a Lee factory crimp die; I'm probably like many of you. Just use the seater die for just that purpose, just seat the bullet. I'll use the FCD to lightly crimp the bullet. I did slug the barrel, it slugged out at .3115. From what I read and have been told, the Lyman 311299 are notorious for dropping at .313ish. Push come to shove, I can always try my hand at paper-patching........ lol! Thanks again,

HV

U.S. Coast Guard (ret)
Law Enforcement (ret)
"Now, just tired!"
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment