Tuesday, April 9, 2013

First experience with shooting and leading.

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

cs86 is offline Boolit Bub Join DateJan 2013LocationRapid City, SDPosts40

So I went out and shot my 1911 .45ACP with some RN 230gr tumble lube boolits that I casted for the first time. I ended up shooting 100 rounds. 50 rounds with 5.0gr of W231 and 50 rounds with 5.4gr W231. had a lot of junk in the barrel and wasn't sure if it was lube or leading. I took some pictures of the barrel before and after I ran 2 dry patches through. Most of the leading was at the start of the lands. I've slugged my barrel at .450 and sized my boolits to .451 and used Lee Alox for lube.

I read another post a few days ago and it sounded like another person wasn't setting the COAL deep enough. I can't remember what the coal measurement was but it was set deep enough that you could see half of the front band after the bullet was crimped. I'm not sure if this could be the problem. I plan on useing the recluse 45/45/10 mix, but I have about 150 more bullets that are lubed and ready to load. I just wondered what I could try next. I'll try and get some of the leading pics posted.

Click image for larger version. <br /><br />Name:	IMG_0914.jpg <br />Views:	17 <br />Size:	26.9 KB <br />ID:	64660Click image for larger version. <br /><br />Name:	IMG_0915.jpg <br />Views:	20 <br />Size:	28.0 KB <br />ID:	64661Click image for larger version. <br /><br />Name:	IMG_0917.jpg <br />Views:	14 <br />Size:	28.2 KB <br />ID:	64662Click image for larger version. <br /><br />Name:	IMG_0918.jpg <br />Views:	13 <br />Size:	41.2 KB <br />ID:	64663

It took a bit of time to get all the lead out but my barrel is ready for the next batch to try. I'll have to look up chore boy. I've heard about it and think it would make cleaning easier.

What's the alloy and has it aged a bit? Takes about a week or two for the bullet to fully harden. Also, what did you use to measure your slugs? Caliper or Micrometer?
No law ever stopped a criminal. If you disagree then you need to look up the word "criminal".

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Now how do you lose your rights? Do you see where I'm coming from . . .

Pilgrim is offline Boolit Master Join DateMar 2005LocationWashington StatePosts196
A reasonable rule of thumb is if your leading starts at the throat it is most likely due to one of four things; 1 ) gas cutting due to too small of a boolit (boolit doesn't fill the bore quickly enuf), 2) too long a bullet jump before the boolit fills the bore. This can result in gas cutting just like 1), 3) too hard of an alloy which prevents boolit upset, which delays/prevents the boolit from upsetting and filling the bore, and acts just like 1) and 2), and 4) boolit skid due to too soft an alloy. Once leading starts in the leade, it can continue all the way to the muzzle since the gas cutting can continue once it starts. If the leading begins some distance down the bore it is most likely due to lube failure. You don't mention your alloy, but I would start by choosing a very mild load (say 700 fps +/-), seat the boolit as far out of the case as you can and still fit the magazine and feed reliably. This test should start to eliminate the reasons for your leading. If you get little to no leading you can up the load pressure (velocity) and try again. In this case your boolit is obturating OK, your alloy fits the bore OK, and your lube is performing as it should. If you are leading with the boolit set out, and lower pressures, I'd suspect a boolit that is undersize. FWIW...something to think about while you trouble shoot your problem(s). Buy some brass wool (just like steel wool) and use that to scrub the lead out of the barrel. Much faster and easier than patches. I've also used steel wool for the same purpose, but using steel anything in a barrel gives me the heebie-jeebies. Pilgrim
cs86 is offline Boolit Bub Join DateJan 2013LocationRapid City, SDPosts40
Alloy is clip on wheel weight. I let the Alox dry for 4 days. I let the bullets rest for 2 weeks. I realize I should be using a micro but all I have is a caliper. I was actually going to order a micrometer today but they were all out on Midway with the 1 I wanted.
Pilgrim is offline Boolit Master Join DateMar 2005LocationWashington StatePosts196
Watch fleebay. The last one I bought off of that site was about $6 or so. Nice unit and I still use it over my expensive Mitituyos and such.
Yikes! I've had leading before but this is kind of rough. Definitely get your hands on a micrometer of some sort, and check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuNoo4m6jso

Best way to do this is find some soft lead, like the clip-on wheel weights, or roofers lead. Measure the grooves with a micrometer for precision.

Also, you may want to consider something other than straight Alox. Check out this thread and maybe cook up a batch. You probably already own Alox and Paint thinner, just need to get your hands on Johnsons Paste Wax.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?67654-Tumble-Lubing-Made-Easy-amp-Mess-Free

I use it and it works great. Cast, tumble, size appropriately (.001-.002 more than your micrometer measures), and than tumble once more before loading. Virtually NO lead in my barrel following these steps.

EDIT: Clip on wheel weights as alloy might be to soft. Add some regular wheel weights or even some linotype. If nothing else, water drop and try to heat-treat your boolits if necessary.

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment