Friday, April 5, 2013

I got a bunch of molds Saturday!

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Hello guys,
I bought a bunch of wads, some bullets, some primers and a large quantity of brass. Friend of a friends father in law kind of thing. I also got two 50 Caliber cans of what was labeled, blk powder stuff... Well the ''blk powder stuff'' was about 10 boxes of various sized lead balls, some maxi and some conical musket mini balls and in the bottom was some old Lyman boxes... A couple 310 tools and Hornet and 357Mag dies. As I opened the boxes, there was about a dozen Ideal, Lyman and one Green Mountain bullet molds!!

About five or so are various sized single cavity round ball molds, one of those is a Green Mountain. Then there is a New Haven, CT Winchester mold and handles (in one) for the 32-40Winchester, its a .321/165g. It had some bad pitting on the spur plate and on one outside of the mold, but the faces and cast itself are perfect. I'm thinking this may be a rare piece.

The two that excite me most, are a single alum, 50cal 370g Maxi mold and a .358 210 Ideal mold!(BOTH of which I was gonna order.)

Then there is a .311 148 Ideal rifle bullet mold and a .459 425 (45-70?) mold and a .452 270 mold. There is one other 45/70 mold, .459 525 I think. Then two mini ball molds, a 575 and a 557 I think.

Needless to say, I am pretty excited with this find! All the molds are tarnished and none where stored properly, but all are perfect between the half's and in the actual bullet molds, so all the rest is cosmetic.

Any ideas on cleaning these up? I was thinking of tossing them in the tumbler.... Ideas appreciated.

CW

NRA Life member ? NRA Certified Pistol & Shotgun Instructor ? NRA Certified Rifle Coach ? Certified Range Officer ? Reloading Instructor
REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
If they are just lightly rusted use some oil or bore solvent and a scotch brite pad. If they are worst then you have to decide on a rust remover. I would first soak everything in some kroil oil for a day and then take the molds apart and check everything.
Good Score!
I don't think I'd put mould blocks in the tumbler. You don't want to dent or nick any sharp corners. I have taken my new-used moulds and scrubed them with a brass bristled scrub brush and some Hoppes, then wipe 'em dry and cover them with oil until I want to use them. I go pretty easy on the cavities.
Jeff
cwlongshot

I do hope that you were just kidding about putting those molds in a tumbler !

That would be about the quickest way to turn them into " toast " that I could think of.

maybe a toothbrush and some lava soap with grit? i use tooth paste on my aluminum molds
cwlongshot

I do hope that you were just kidding about putting those molds in a tumbler !

That would be about the quickest way to turn them into " toast " that I could think of.

Well, NOT all at once!! LOL...

Surface rust is all and tarnish, overall they are in good shape for the way they had been stored!

CW

NRA Life member ? NRA Certified Pistol & Shotgun Instructor ? NRA Certified Rifle Coach ? Certified Range Officer ? Reloading Instructor
REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
jsizemore is offline Boolit Master Join DateJul 2008Posts938
In this forum there is a sticky "Hensley & Gibbs Mold Users Manual". Please read this before you attempt any 'restoration' of your newfound treasures. Once the metal is gone, you can't put it back. Unless you buy a replacement for the one that's destroyed.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment