See? A common rant topic, just like I said.

Piedmont, I'm not trying to launch a Lyman vs. custom moldmakers thread. Most us have seen the difference and are sold on the custom houses for future purchases, but the fact is that the molds are out there, people own them, and those that do have to either upgrade or find ways to deal with their quirks - which is part of what I'm hoping to address.

One of those quirks is (or may be) the alloy that the mold was spec'd for. I haven't poured #2 into my small-casting 358429 because it doesn't seem like the right metal for the task - I am soliciting the feedback of those who have.

More simply put: Is it the mold that is wrong or the alloy? On the one hand, our alloy may be wrong because it's not what the molds were made for; on the other hand if nobody is using #2 in a vast class of molds (specifically non-super-magnum handguns), Lyman may need to wake up and smell the coffee on cavity diameter. The third possibility is general Q.C. issues.

I'm sure someone here has done the necessary experiments and I'd like to hear from them. Otherwise, I've got to gear up for science.