Monday, April 15, 2013

Quickload charges for .40sw

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

smokesahoy is offline Boolit Mold Join DateFeb 2013Posts10

So i've been a lurker here for a long time, but finally getting active in a group buy. I'm getting the 190 bullet designed by Oreo and built by Mihec, and starting to do some load data in quickload. I havent seen much on the loading in the 40 flavor so far, nor have a bullet for real world tests, but so far in the 185gr deep HP configuration I am getting data that looks like this with power pistol:
1.13" OAL
bullet seated 0.301"
max theoretical load to be worked up towards: 7.2gr PP, slight compression 32.2kpsi
1075fps/475ft/lbs (all rounded down)

(for 10mm with same bullet increase fps/ftlbs by 9% for another max)

And i'm thinking, is this possibly the most perfect boolit? More data: glock standard sighting is about 25 yards, so this would be on target out to about 50 yards when it will be about 2" low and still retaining about 900fps and 400ft/lbs, even with quickloads ~10% possibility of prediction errors.

so the point being, this might just be the perfect dual purpose woods/street load, and if anyone else is on the fence the number to start the cutting is nearly reached.

I got my first .40 S&W gun in 1993 and started loading shortly thereafter; casting a little later still. I work up loads using various hardcopy manuals and always go through the "begin at starting load and work up" routine. Frankly I'd be a bit scared to do it any other way.

My favorite boolit for the 40 is a Lee 175 grain TC with traditional bullet groove. I load to about 900 fps with various powders. Lately that's been Ramshot True Blue and Alliant Power Pistol. I use the same boolit for 10mm and it works very well there too.

I'm unsure what you mean by "perfect", but what I've found is many boolits I cast will work well in different guns and with different powders. I seldom shoot a semi auto at ranges past 15 yards or so and mostly wife and I practice at 10 yards and under so bullet drop is of little consequence. If I want to "reach out and touch", I've got several heavy caliber revolvers that suit me better for that. As is the usual case, YMMV.

?Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you?, Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Cane_man is online now Boolit Man Join DateMar 2013Posts79
careful with QL results and pistols... QL seems to work well on rifle for me, but pistol is all over the place
smokesahoy is offline Boolit Mold Join DateFeb 2013Posts10
yeah, alliant lists the starting charge on the next closest (190 lead) in their 2005 manual as 6.9, i'd be starting at 6.4 or thereabouts since i dont know the dimensions of their test bullet. obviously start low, quickload just lets you scale up and move the oal around to simulate other factors in. as to being perfect, well, after researching what mold to get to start out casting, and seeing the (tons) of available options, this one blew the rest away in the heavy category, and oreo is designing a lightweight that will also likely be "perfect" for me and what I am looking for personally in this caliber. I am trying to reduce the number of calibers I own and the perfect comes in again as I think this will allow me to reduce what I load for while letting me load up bullets that fall in the 45 heavy category and with the other mold bullets that fall in the fast 9mm category, all out of the same guns (i have a few 40's so am migrating towards that for pistols). I'm getting older and keeping track of umpteen different calibers is getting kind of silly for where i want to be in life.

So perfect as in for me, it seems perfect, and I am wondering if anyone that bought in on the last 2 buys wants to weigh in on their thoughts on their experiences with this in the 40, how it performed through various loadings. What i have is just data sheets, would love to hear real world thoughts on what people are using this for after building up some rounds. Thanks!

smokesahoy is offline Boolit Mold Join DateFeb 2013Posts10
Yeah, quickload is just to bounce ideas off of. You still need to work up each variable separately with a start that is based on published manuals. I dont think anyone would be foolish enough to design a load, max it out, load it up and pull the trigger.
Cane_man is online now Boolit Man Join DateMar 2013Posts79
agreed

what i have found is that QL is an excellent tool to help you identify which powders to test out

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment