Sunday, April 7, 2013

348 Mold with Gas Check

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

RWR is offline Boolit Mold Join DateJan 2013Posts1

Just got a Winchester Model 71, so want to get a bullet mold. Bore measured .348 dia. Since no new molds on the market, or have I missed some? Thinking about having Tom, Accurate Molds build a double cavity. Lyman GC listed for the .348 dia. seem to be available. Is that the best choice for the mold design? Any suggestions for best shape, weight and alloy/cast diameter? Have looked at the post for the 348 I could find.
it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

If you would like to try a few different designs before you buy a mold I have 4 available.
One of the more successful mold designs for the 348 was Lyman #350482, a 250 grain round nose that looks like an overgrown Lyman #311291. Long out of production they sometimes turn up...for crazy prices of course. The 348 also works very well with bullets in the 200-225 grain category. Generally bullets, cast or J's can be pushed around 2000 to 2250 fps and are effective in hunting medium to bigger game. LLS
I have the RCBS 348-200 and the Accurate 351-220B. The Accurate mold is prettier, in brass, but the boolits aren't any better than the RCBS mold's boolits. I really can't choose between them. They both shoot well from my Winchester 71. The brass Accurate mold costs $4.00 more than the RCBS, but in aluminum, its 19 bucks cheaper for a 2 cavity. I do not recommend the lyman 350-447. It does not shoot well from my gun. I have not tried the heavier weights.
_________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.
I have two from NEI a 230gn and a 250gn and both shoot very well.
I have another 250gn from Rapine and it also shoots well.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment