Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Die Cleaning

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

I've looked and haven't seen a thread on this so if someone knows of one please direct me there.

I've bought several used die sets lately and want to clean them first. My question is what to use on them. I have been spraying the insides with Ballistol and scrubbing them and that cleans them up but I am wondering whether any residue from the cleaning agent will interact with powder since the cleaning agent dissolves powder. I do wipe out the dies with clean patches after cleaning.
So, is so little cleaner left that no problem should result or should I use something else?

I use a bore brush, solvent, and patches. Just like cleaning a barrel in my opinion.
I used to clean with Hoppes. Now I use the ultrasonic with heat and the gun parts solution.
50 cal bore brush in a hand drill running slow will get the worst out.
Soak in a solvent for a couple day's will get a lot off then a quick look over with a "tooth brush" will get the rest.
Carburetor cleaner works for me. Spray it and wipe it out, good to go.
Trick for dies with a little surface rust: Get some mild phosphoric acid solution (sold in paint and hardware stores as "rust prime" or similiar label--I buy in in gallons and it is not expensive and good on de-rusting all types of steel projects) and coat inside and out. Let dry and rinse in water, then oil. You then clean like cleaning a rifle barrel and lightly lube with lube of your choice. The acid solution does not take anything off but the rust, but kills the rust and leaves protective coating. On some dies, it discolors the dies, but no beauty contest, just reloading dies.
I inherited a reloading setup from a friend and neighbor who died and his dies were stored in a moist outside building and had some surface rust. We cleaned it all with rust prime and my son in law is using much of it today.
"A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does,he needs it very badly!" Sir Winston Churchill
giddyupgo55 is offline Boolit Buddy Join DateApr 2009Posts53
I use a bore brush and Hoppies #9. Has always worked for me, as long as there is no rust.
Lyman sonic cleaner, then oiled nicely to prevent rust.
Carburetor cleaner works for me. Spray it and wipe it out, good to go.+1 for carburetor cleaner. Spray some on and wipe it down with shop towels or paper towels. I also have easy access to an air compressor, so often i'll use that to clean out any remaining dirty cleaner I can't reach with my tools.

EDIT: This is also a great way to clean out your Lee sizing dies, as they tend to get gunked up with lube from time to time.

Many years ago I needed to clean some gunk out of a loading die and the only thing I had was plain old drug store rubbing alcohol. I tried it, and it cleans fine. I mostly just use a shop paper towel soaked with it. It cuts oil, bullets lube or whatever out of dies. It is cheap, available anywhere, evaporates off and leaves no residue. Works for me...
Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.
I like carb cleaner to blast out the chunks and remove any built up case lube in my size dies and clear the vent hole, and a bore brush to hog out boolit lube from my seating dies. Then a quick shot of lube to keep them from rusting. I am going to have to get some rust prime and try that, i have a few older die sets that could use it!
Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
Alba an Aigh. Blessed are we few Armenians!
"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith
I like carb cleaner to blast out the chunks and remove any built up case lube in my size dies and clear the vent hole, and a bore brush to hog out boolit lube from my seating dies. Then a quick shot of lube to keep them from rusting. I am going to have to get some rust prime and try that, i have a few older die sets that could use it!Try vinegar. Takes rust right off!
I take the dies apart and spray with carb cleaner. Anything rust or rough gets a quick hit with a scotch brite pad.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment