Thursday, April 11, 2013

Lyman gas check seater #2745881: Do I need one?

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

jimb. is offline Boolit Mold Join DateMar 2013Posts10

I'm using a Lyman 45 lubri-sizer for my Lyman 429640 Devastator hollowpoints, with Hornady crimp-on gas checks, for my .44 Rem. Mag. revolvers.

I've put on the gas checks simply by pressing them onto the bases of the bullets as hard as I could by hand, then tapping the base of the gas-checked bullets on the top of the reloading bench, by hand, to ensure that they're fully seated. I've been wondering if this is too crude a method, and perhaps not square? They look good, but I still wonder...

I've researched Lyman's website & found their gas check seater #2745881 ($11.25). Would you advise that I use this to seat my gas checks? If so, how is it done? Is the seating process a separate step from sizing/lubing the bullet? I would assume so, because the sizing/lubing step also crimps the gas check onto the bullet. Would the process work this way: Install the gas check seater into the 45 lubrisizer, seat the gas checks into all my bullets, then remove the seater, then size/lube all the bullets?

Or, would the process work in such a way that I could insert a gas check with each bullet, and perform the gas check seating and bullet sizing/lubing with the same ram strokes?

Sorry about the rudimentary questions, but I don't have the tools in front of me now to examine them & how they work. Thanks much.

jimb.

I bought one and used it a couple of times .I thought it was more of a PITA than what its worth. This is just my opinion others may like it .either of the methods you described will work. I was having problems with GC being to loose after being installed. I switched to gator gas checks sold on this site and my problem went away.
Don't blame me, I voted for Mitt.
I never had to use the one that came with my 4500. I tried it once just out of curiosity. Extra resistance bent my boolit.
Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
-Yogi Berra.

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment