Thursday, April 4, 2013

Making a spout in my smelting pot.

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

I use a cast iron dutch oven. My question is if I put a hardened steel spout in the wall or bottom do I have to worry about the different expansion rates of the different metals?
I would not do it. Cast iron is fragile enough without adding stress where the spout goes. The thought of a few pounds of molten alloy suddenly being released is ugly.
shadowcaster is offline Boolit Man Join DateJun 2011LocationNorthwest MontanaPosts126
You will be better off not messing with trying to make a cast iron pot into a bottom pour. Use steel plate and well casing or a rim. Do a search for "bottom pour smelter" to get some good ideas.

Shad

I believe in gold, silver, & lead, and the rights of free honest men... You can keep the "CHANGE"!
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment