Monday, April 8, 2013

HG 68 vs. 200-SWC

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Can anybody give me a good comparison between the HG #68 bullet and the RCBS 45-200-SWC bullet? I was ready to order an Accurate mold in the HG 68, but it turned out that I had a 2 cavity RCBS 45-200 SWC in a box that was marked as a different model. It looks pretty similar, but I'm far from an expert on bullet design and functionality. If it's similar, I was thinking I'd order the Accurate in a different design. If the HG 68 is truly the cat's meow, then I'll get that one and just list the RCBS in Sellin and Swappin.

Thanks,
Rob

"Mama always says stupid is as stupid does"
RCBS is shorter and wider nose. Not catastrophically, but frankly the H&G 68 is essentially optimum.

You can stray away a bit here and there and still succeed many times, but why would you go off and
risk it? I have the mold and used it in the past and it generally was acceptable, but the 452460 and
H&G 68 were more accurate for me in most guns. The RCBS is closer to the 460 than the 68. The
452460 is a very accurate boolit design, but substantially less reliable feeder than the 68.

Bill

If it was easy, anybody could do it.
In days gone by, I would have been in total agreement with Bill. Most older guns had a hard time with SWC boolits of almost any ilk. But most modern full-size 45's will eat just about anything. Your gun may just happen to like the RCBS boolit just fine. I'd try what I had, before I blew a hundred bucks on a new mold.

That's not true--I'd try what I had on hand AND blow a hundred bucks on a new mold, but you don't have to mimic my foibles.
My name is Glen, and I am an addict.

_________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.
Glen-you're my kind of guy. I'm going to cast and load a few this week. the other thing that I forgot to mention is that it's two cavity. If I do end up liking it, I'd probably want a four or five cavity anway. Bill-thanks for the imput. I'd definitely want the superior bullet. I have this thing where I try to have my gun and ammo to the point of being far better than I am. No excuses!
"Mama always says stupid is as stupid does"
most all the new magazines are made to feed swc's.
this presents the bul err cartridge to the chamber at a little higher angle.
the H&G was designed to replicate how ball ammo fed.
it also happened to be very, very accurate.
anyway I got rid of my [2 cavity] 68 clone mold when I got my 460 [4 cavity] mold and found it fed perfectly in my 1911's [but not before]
it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment