Saturday, April 13, 2013

Lee 1oz slug loads need different powder question

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

coleman is offline Boolit Buddy Join DateFeb 2010Posts69

I only have enough blue dot powder to make about 60 slugs, The powders that i have are red dot,bullseye and unique. The slugs will be used for 3-gun so i dont needs blazing speed and targets are out to 50yrds. I will be using AA hulls and have some nitro cards for spacers and different federal wads for adjustable slug height, I dont want to try going into this blindly, Can i use eather of the powders listed? and what powder charge if accepable?
Thanks Coleman
I am interested, too, as the data provided with the mold has not changed, to my knowledge, since the Activ brand components were available.
"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!
Coleman, since you have Unique, you're in business. You could also use the RedDot, just look up a Trap load for that powder. I'm sure you will enjoy the loads with the Unique and RedDot more than the BlueDot loads, if you have been using the BlueDot data provided with the mold. That tends to be a bit much for fun shooting.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?shotype=&weight=1.125&weightdis=1+1%2f8&shellid=493>ypeid=3&gauge=12

The link I posted is for 1&1/8 ounce data because Alliant doesn't show data for loads as light as 1 ounce using Unique. Due to the construction of the AA hulls, there is no data for the Federal wads, so basically it is just a guideline. Standard caveats apply, but I use 25 grains of Unique in a AA hull with a federal 12S3 wad with the Lee one ounce slug. I have the nitro wads, but adding one inside the 12S3 doesn't allow a good crimp in the AA hull with that powder charge. I picked the 12S3 due to its thin and tough petals.

A reduced speed (and recoil) slug load that performs at 50 yards should give quite the advantage in shooting time in a 3-gun match. If you're shooting an autoloader, you may be limited as to how low you can go and still function the action.

You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

As pipehand said above, I have loaded Lee 1oz. slugs with published Red Dot loads using 1oz. and 1 1/8oz. trap load data. This goes with the other componet data as well, star crimped or roll crimp.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment