Monday, March 18, 2013

Ideal 308241

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

while perusing my plethora of boolit moulds I came across this old Ideal mould. cast a few and here is what I got;

it is a plain base round nose
weighs out at 158 grains (wheel weights)
bottom band .315-.316
two middle bands .313
top band .311
nose .308
3 lube grooves

cannot find it listed in my old lyman cast book. what can I use it for? makes a pretty boolit.

TTC

Try casting it 50% WW and 50% lead, don't push it too hard in any .30 caliber and you can drive nails with it. Maybe Ben can/will weight in on this bullet. He put up some pictures awhile back, 30/06 with a small load of International Clays, most impressive.
I have that same mold only in a 2 cavity marked 311241 by Lyman. Mine cast a bit smaller than the one you have using my WW metal.Mine is .314 on the bottom band and .313 on the other 3 with the nose at .300
It is a good shooting plain base booilt for me. It will out shoot the Lee group buy 311041 plain base boolit any day of the week in my rifles...........Terry
while perusing my plethora of boolit moulds I came across this old Ideal mould. cast a few and here is what I got;

it is a plain base round nose
weighs out at 158 grains (wheel weights)
bottom band .315-.316
two middle bands .313
top band .311
nose .308
3 lube grooves

cannot find it listed in my old lyman cast book. what can I use it for? makes a pretty boolit.

TTC

You have an early version, later ones were 311241. The design changed with each cherry as I have several examples. Usefull in several 30 caliber rifles: 30-30, 308, 30-06 7.62x54R etc. There is a GB going on in the Active GBs section now for it in 0.311" and 0.316" diameters. Good boolit.
45 2.1

Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance.

Never sleep, never die

Knowledge is easy to get, but worthless if you never use it. However the info is free, so the only person you have to blame is yourself if you chose not to use the information.

Yes it is an early mold and shoot very well in my 30-06 and SKS, have not tried it in a 30-30 yet but expect it to preform well in it also. I'm not done experimenting with this boolit yet but it does show promise. The picture shows what I think is about the top end velocity for this plan base design. Higher velocity starts leading. I will try reducing my charge and velocity to see if I can get tighter groups than this.
Name: photo.jpg<br />Views: 29<br />Size: 31.0 KB
Here is my 308241 :
( Sorry, I left out the make of primer in the load data listed in the photo below .....It was Wolf Large rifle )

Here is a useful link that shows many old mold numbers.

http://www.three-peaks.net/bullet_molds.htm

wcp

The picture shows what I think is about the top end velocity for this plan base design. Higher velocity starts leading. I will try reducing my charge and velocity to see if I can get tighter groups than this.If you freechec (a single thickness aluminum gas check) them you can go a lot farther up in velocity. The last ones I did were air cooled ones of 50/50 WW/Pb alloy. I got them to about 1900 fps before it started leading some. Expansion was very good at that velocity.
45 2.1

Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance.

Never sleep, never die

Knowledge is easy to get, but worthless if you never use it. However the info is free, so the only person you have to blame is yourself if you chose not to use the information.

If you freechec (a single thickness aluminum gas check) them you can go a lot farther up in velocity.How does the PB gas check work, is it as easy to install as standard checks? I have not gotten into check making yet. It would be handy to have a the ability to make your own checks plus the PB check. I have a DC 311041 mold that I enjoy shooting beside this old timer PB mold.

wcp

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment