Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Lee boolit mold abberation?/?

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

mikeym1a is offline Boolit Mold Join DateDec 2012Posts10

I'm just getting into casting boolits for rifles. The impetus for this was a really neat barrel I got off Ebay. After much research, I determined it was originally off a single shot german rifle, chambered for the 8.15x46. The slugged bore measured .317. No receiver, and no boolit mold. In the meantime, with the shortage of projectiles, and the like, I decided to start casting boolits for my other guns. My first old gun was a sportenized '09 argentine mauser that I paid $54.00 for. (It had been on sale for $39.95... no money then...) Speer used to make .313 jacketed for them back then, but, stopped. So, I queried Lee about a mold for the 8.15, hoping they had a .312 mold that turned out a bit large. No dice. So, I slowly started gathering supplies and molds and dies for the other guns. (I've loaded cast in my pistols for years with great success, and economy!) I ordered the Lee #90361 which is supposed to throw a 160gr .311 boolit. After my first casting session with the new mold, I had a bit of suprise. The projectiles run a bit heavy. I was getting two weights, 163gn and 167gr. When I measured them I was getting .312 for the 163gr, and .316/.317 for the 167gr boolits. I only tested about 16 out of the batch. I just picked them up at randon, and got eight of one and eight of the other. NOW, I'm not complaining. Seems the answer to two needs. I'm just wondering if this was done intentionally, or if it just slipped by? TEE-HEE, GOOD for me!! Any ideas?
Your mold may have one oversize cavity. Lucky you.

The .317 might also work in unmodified 8x57J m1888 barrels or some of the larger 7.7x58 barrels

mikeym1a is offline Boolit Mold Join DateDec 2012Posts10
Your mold may have one oversize cavity. Lucky you.

The .317 might also work in unmodified 8x57J m1888 barrels or some of the larger 7.7x58 barrels

I hadn't thought of that. I do have an old turkish m1888, with a good bore, actually. That one had slipped my mind. Because of the lack of proper boolit size, it's just been sitting in the corner. Thanks for the reminder. Actually, that m1888 has the mod for the pointed boolit and stripper clip, but, when I slugged the bore, it came out .318. hhhmmm. But, again, thanks for the reminder.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment