Friday, March 15, 2013

Anyone use or have a OLD Lee bullet lubricating and resizing kit??

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

victor3ranger is offline Boolit Bub Join DateFeb 2013Posts34

Had a friend give me a Old Lee bullet lubricating and resizng kit. Comes with the lube pan, lube cutter, accurate resizing die & punch, 2oz of ALOX.

Now I have figured out everything except one piece. How does the hand held resizing die work?? Say to put the bullet point in first into the die then use a punch to drive it thru the die.

Anyone have any pics on how to use this thing?

Blanket is offline Boolit Man Join DateApr 2010LocationSE IowaPosts85
should have been a punch with it, but basically you stand the bullets base down in the pan, pour in melted lube, use the hollow kake cutter pushed over the nose of the bullet to extract them from the cooled and hard lube, drop nose first into the die and push thru.
victor3ranger is offline Boolit Bub Join DateFeb 2013Posts34
The size die has a black plastic end, is this the punch?? If so I think this one might be stuck inside the die from the lube maybe.
Blanket is offline Boolit Man Join DateApr 2010LocationSE IowaPosts85
never saw a plastic punch so don't know
victor3ranger is offline Boolit Bub Join DateFeb 2013Posts34
Is your hollow to where you can see all the way thru the die??
victor3ranger is offline Boolit Bub Join DateFeb 2013Posts34
I feel stupid now. The thing that I thought was black plastic is actually steel, it was stuck due to the old lube inside. Finally pulled it out of the size die and pushed a bullet thru it, seems to work.

Pretty cool little setup, even came with a miniature skillet with a bunch of boolits in it.

Anyone have any pics on how to use this thing?Victor
Looks like you answered your own question. I have an old 41 caliber sizer that has not been used in a very long time. The sizer is standing up the punch is the black part laying next to the sizer and the cookie cutter behind the punch. The kit did work fine but was slow in producing ready to load boolits.

wcp

Name: Lee 41 Sizer.jpg.JPG<br />Views: 140<br />Size: 94.0 KB

victor3ranger is offline Boolit Bub Join DateFeb 2013Posts34
Yep, that's it. I can see why it would be slow, but I guess for right now it is the best thing I have and glad to have it looking at the availability of supplies.
Its what I started with and will do the job. Once I discovered the Lyman 450, I never looked back. Been using my old 450 for years and it has created many thousands of boolits over the years.

wcp

I started pan lubing with one several years ago (19?). The only really slow part is the small pan, I could only get about 25 .44 cal. bullets in there at a time. Cutting them out and punching them through the size die ain't much trouble and I could to 2 or 3 pans at a sitting. Slow is a state of mind. Slower than a Magma auto-everything machine, yes. Slower than finger lubing, no. Slower than an old lubersizer, mebbe. I keep myself supplied with sized/lubed bullets for 6 handguns and 1 carbine casting in 2 cavity molds and pan lubing with my recipe and Carnauba Red, sized in a Lee push through sizer. I've got mebbe 1500 sized/lubed in .44, .38/.357, and 9mm that I processed. But I enjoy my hobby and ain't in no hurry...
Although I've got a Star, an RCBS, and multiple new-style Lee lubers, I still use and enjoy my dozen or so old style kits. As MDI says above, its my hobby and I'm not in a hurry. The old kits are great when you want to size and lube small batches, and fill up the lube grooves.
Thanks for the pics, now I know I have a set for 44. Didn't realize all the pieces go together. The sizer hole isn't centered, but that won't matter.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment