Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Is this muffin pan okay for ingots?

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Need to pick up an extra pan or two to put my ingots in after smelting. Is this Wilton pan okay?

Steel
Nonstick surface
Large handles
Even heating
$6.97 at Wally World
Burning off the non-stick coating is problematic. Some of them gas off dangerous gasses, i.e. don't breathe them!
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Burning off the non-stick coating is problematic. Some of them gas off dangerous gasses, i.e. don't breathe them!Hmm, trying to find an available, useable, affordable ingot pan is becoming problematic. The only other one I am finding locally that doesn't cost a fortune is the Lodge corn cob mold pan, and I would like the ingots to be somewhat stackable.
Last edited by novalty; Today at 08:25 AM.
AaronJ is online now Boolit Man Join DateSep 2010LocationMt. Vernon ILPosts105
Be sure not to over fill it! If you get lead in that ring on the top you will have a bear of a time getting that ingot out. Ask how I know.
Just buff out the non stick coating with a wire brush and it should be good to go.
After you do that let it rust and the lead will drop out.
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

shadowcaster is offline Boolit Man Join DateJun 2011LocationNorthwest MontanaPosts122
Hmm, trying to find an available, useable, affordable ingot pan is becoming problematic. The only other one I am finding locally that doesn't cost a fortune is the Lodge corn cob mold pan, and I would like the ingots to be somewhat stackable.Read this thread on the issues with muffin pans.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?163687-cupcake-pan-tin-plated-steel

The corn wedge cast iron pans work excellent and the ingots fall right out. They stack well, (alternate the points out then in) fit in the casting pot, and only cost 9 bucks each at target.

Shad

I believe in gold, silver, & lead, and the rights of free honest men... You can keep the "CHANGE"!
Iowa Fox is offline Boolit Master Join DateApr 2005LocationIowaPosts308
Check goodwill & garage/yard sales for older heavy uncoated muffin tins. I never pay over $0.75 for them and have 20 plus for the days that I smelt 5 or 600 lbs.
I'm gonna try stopping by the local Goodwill to see what they have. The cheapest cast iron I seem to find is those corn shaped pans. Figured I am going to need a couple of pans, as the dutch oven I'm having delivered has a 6 quart capacity.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment